Tonight Jordan and I made chicken alfredo using spaghetti squash instead of whole grain pasta. I've been complaining about my struggles to eat more vegetables, and when Jordan saw this at the store, he picked one up. His mother was astounded to learn that we'd never heard of this before, so maybe some of you will be too. I expected it to all turn to mush once we scraped it out of the skin, but surprisingly, the "noodles" really kept their shape. The dish was delicious. Even Marshall liked it! So now, I'm trying to think of some other ways to sneak more vegetables into my diet. Jordan's mom came up with another good one- mashed cauliflower. Any other thoughts???
This morning we took Marshall to the Dr. Seuss Read Across America story hour at our local Target. He received a reusable goody bag, filled with a juice box, some fruit snacks and a granola bar (which Jordan and I drank/ate), along with some coloring pages, crayons and stickers... all for free! Plus, they read several Dr. Seuss stories. Marshall didn't really feel like sitting still during the story hour, and instead, walked up to each of the other children and tried to get them to join in his mischief. There were no takers though, and he proceeded to run around the store with me chasing after. We still had a great time.
Tonight Marshall went "swimming" in the bathtub. We just said, "wanna go swimming, Marshall?" and he flipped over onto his belly and started kicking his feet! He's going to be so much fun in the pool this summer!
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't eat vegetables much, but my boyfriend makes gravy out of cauliflower which is surprisingly good! He also loves sketti squash (that's what I call it), and I love the seeds from it!
ReplyDeleteI grate carrots and zucchini into my spaghetti sauce and cook it until it disappears. This will be the first time my children are aware they were getting all those vegies when they had the spaghetti they loved. I also add finely grated vegies into my meatloaf. They never knew about that either. Many secret things go into my soup and chili that are healthy and no one knows about, not to mention sloppy joes, enchiladas, and taco meat. They caught onto spaghetti squash and whole grain pasta so I had to get clever. I love spaghetti squash.
ReplyDeleteThey also did not like mushrooms so I put them through a ricer and they went into too many things to mention. I still got the musky flavor I liked so much and they never knew they were there. Do mushrooms count as a vegie?
ReplyDeleteSpeghetti squash is a FAVE! I even eat it with a little bit of butter and parmesan cheese. Also I don't care for sweet potatoes or yams but I like both as fries that you can bake in your oven or mixed in with regular mashed potatoes. I have a friend who hides vagies in cake! There is a whole book about it. Another idea, I don't like plain tomato soup but I cook butternut squash and blend tomato (soup or sauce) and pour it over rice or noodles.
ReplyDelete