Tuesday, June 30, 2009

so far so good...

Monday was the first day of my Internal Medicine rotation. For the first 4 weeks I'll be working in the hematology/oncology department. I think it's particularly interesting that I was assigned there, for a number of reasons. 1) the floor is full of immunocompromised patients, which means that they are more susceptible to contract diseases like CMV, Parvovirus, etc, which are dangerous to pregnant women (exposure can lead to spontaneous miscarriage; don't worry, I just won't be interacting with those patients). 2) it's the oncology department, which is not the most uplifting area of the hospital... don't they know that I (as a pregnant woman) cry at just about anything these days (including Extreme Makeover Home Edition)??

Despite all that, I'm really enjoying my rotation so far. My team is really nice, but unfortunately they're transitioning tomorrow, so we'll be getting all new residents and interns. I'm sure they'll be pleasant too though. So far my hours are from about 6:30 am until 5:00pm. I will have to go in a little bit earlier and stay a little bit later as I take on more responsibilities, but it's not too bad. Also, every once in a while I'll be on call in the evenings, but it's manageable. I'm making sure to drink lots of water, carry lots of snacks, and sit whenever possible.

We'll be 22 weeks tomorrow and we have our next OB appointment on Thursday. Then, we have an ultrasound to look forward to on July 21st. I can't believe we're 55% of the way done with this pregnancy!

2 comments:

  1. I cried at Extreme Makeover Home Edition too, the one on the other night about the sick kids... thats the one I cried at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime I feel like I need a good cry all I have to do is watch that show--it's always a guaranteed tear-jerker!

    ReplyDelete