Wednesday, June 10, 2009
gross!
Tomorrow I take the boards. Whoa. I decided to make today a "rest day" and after doing two sets of questions this morning I put all my study materials away and tried to relax. I ran some errands, visited with some friends, and then sat down to watch some mindless television. I decided to watch the movie Super Size Me, for the first time. And now, I am seriously grossed out. Thank goodness I can feel the baby kicking right now because otherwise I'd go on a serious pity party about feeling fat. I am trying hard to suppress the urge to go run like 10 miles- I guess I'll settle for taking the dogs for a walk when Jordan gets home in a few minutes. It's funny- since the 7th grade running has been a big part of my life. I ran competitively through college and kept on running for fun through med school, picking up half- and full-marathons. I love to run. But, right before we found out we were expecting, I was in a serious running funk. They happen every once in a while- a few days here and there when I just can't seem to make myself get out the front door and take those first steps. But this particular funk was pushing on about a month by the time I took that first pregnancy test. Since my OB and cardiologist (and the What to Expect bible) suggest that I not allow my heart rate to exceed 140 while exercising now that I'm pregnant, I haven't been on a run in almost 6 months. While I was ready to give up running before (probably temporarily), now (and I'm sure this has a lot to do with the increasing numbers on the scale and the movie I watched today) I can't WAIT to go for a run. I told Jordan yesterday while we were walking the dogs that I am going to go for a run the day after the baby is born. He just laughed and said, "Why don't you talk to Megan, or Abby or your sister (women who have all had babies) about that." I just miss running. It was my go-to for stress relief. Looks like I need a new outlet- but thankfully I'm not too stressed out about much these days. I used to allow myself to get really worked up over the littlest things before, but since I've gotten pregnant I've tried really hard to take things one day at a time. I started to have a mini freak-out session today when I realized that tomorrow is the day of the big exam, but then I reassured myself that I've done all I can to prepare and that I've worked hard. I'll do fine. I was even more reassured and happy when I checked the mail today and found a study care package from my bff Abby, complete with a good luck card, some animal crackers (which I used to devour in college while studying--- okay pretty much all the time), and popsicles. Aw, I love friends! So now, I'm just going to take it easy, rub the baby bump (not a beer/food belly) and relax for the big day tomorrow. If I'm able to bring myself to stare at a computer tomorrow evening after I get home, I'll let you all know how it goes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know you'll ace the boards. I can't wait to see you on friday! Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteJordan's right--I don't think you'll be doing any running the day after you give birth; it's hard just to shuffle across the room! Why don't you try speed walking for now? Your mom could show you how to do it. I really enjoy reading your posts; they're always so humorous!
ReplyDeleteWe all know that you are going to do great on the big test. Like you said, you prepared and you are ready. What about swimming for exercise? It is easy on joints etc. That's what I did about a century ago when I was pregnant. I think that is still allowed for pregnant women. I am so very proud of you and all that you have accomplished already in your young life. Good luck. Grammy
ReplyDelete